Saturday 19 May 2007

School Disco's Fun? Or....

Well the night of the school disco arrived last night with lots of excitement and anticipation. My two youngest were going and Bronte was doubly excited because it was her first year at the 'senior' disco.

She asked if I would help out on the night and I said sure! She had her bestest
friend come over for a sleepover, Zachary went to his best friends for a sleepover and Samuel had one of his best friends over for a sleepover.

I tell you - these kids have a great social life!

I should tell you - my daughter is 8 and so is her friend. The senior disco encompasses Grades 3 to 6 - so the ages are from 8 to 12 that go there.

Zachary went straight from school to his friends place so and got ready there so I didn't get any photos - a darn shame too because he looked so gorgeous I coulda squeezed his cheeks!

Bronte and her friend A, got ready here. 'A' has the most divine thick hair and I said I would curl it for her. As her mum doesn't do that kind of stuff, she was thrilled. Unfortunately, the gorgeous curls fell out pretty fast but she was still happy with the mascara I put on her! (No lippy!!)

Bronte's hair was a little more involved - I had to plait it in little plaits that morning after her shower. She wore it to school in little plaits and just before we were ready to leave I took it out. She loved it...all crinkly and fun!

Here are their photos...


























Note the last one where Bronte is standing on her TIPPY TOES to try and be as tall as 'A'!! And 'A' is 6 months younger than Bronte! LOL

Now, these photos were taken before the disco.

We got there and all was well. Too much food, hyped up kids, boys who think dancing is so not cool so they run and jump instead.

To tell you the truth, I was disappointed in a lot of the behaviour I saw there...

First they were each handed a glowstick that could be used as a bracelet. Then they all went into the hall which was decorated with helium balloons. As the lights went off - I noticed knots of boys...didn't think too much of it until I realised that they were sucking the helium out of the balloons! Jeez! I put a stop to that really fast and made them clean up all the mess - strings and stuff from the balloons...they didn't like that much!

Next, I noticed some trying to break the glowsticks. Man! And then, I go over to the darkest corner and someone has sprayed the carpet, walls, curtains with the stuff! I did my nut - well not really but they all knew where they stood on that one. There was a dad standing near the boys, looked at me and said 'is that not allowed?' Ummm der?? I said sweetly 'NO!' LOL

Then a really naughty boy - I know them all - came up to me and said that this other boy who is naughtier than the first is in the mens toilets and it is covered in the stuff. So, I go there and march right in - turn off the lights and it looks like a divine starry night in the middle of nowhere! Or a bloodbath on CSI when they use the UV lights! So, the dad that was on the toilet door was informed that he needed to go in and supervise them.

I thought that was the end of the shocking behaviour but then it got worse. Kids throwing party pies at each other or just squishing them into the carpet for fun? And right behind me kids started getting cups of water and tipping them over their heads because they were hot? Never mind that they were in a carpeted hall? I spoke to one who I know comes from a really well to do family and asked him if he would dare treat his own home in such a manner? He said no and I said to him so what gives you the right to treat the school in this way? He teared up and said sorry. Oops!

Bronte came over to me half way through the night and said they wanted to go home. I asked why and she said because it was boring. No one was really dancing and the bigger kids were pushing the littler ones around. Meantime, Zachary had come up to me crying (and he is in grade 6) because he was hit in the face accidentally from someone running past like a maniac....I took the girls home 20mins early - I am sure the kids were glad to see the back of me but not as much as I was to see the back of them.

I was disappointed in the behaviour from the senior students - most of the problems were from Grade 6 students - boys in fact and I think I will be writing an email to our Principal about it...

When we got home the girls had fun doing Singstar and playing with Samuel and his friend. The girls got to sleep at about 11.30pm and Samuel and his friend 'I' snoozed off at about 12.

Then they were all up this morning early and bright as buttons...blah! Made pancakes and a video movie and had a ball...lucky ducks.

4 comments:

Brissiemum2 said...

Oh my goodness. What naughty little non-dancers! I would be writing to the principal, too cause it spoils the fun for everyone. Seriously think you need more supervisors like you at the dance and a 'naughty mat' for ratbags! ;) Good on you for telling them how to behave properly though

Unknown said...

What a shame... and people wonder why events such as this are fast heading towards a "in my day we used to..." moment. Definately follow up with the Principal - perhaps a Sr Student clean up the hall day is in order!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about letting the Principal know what went on at the dance. Btw, I never think twice about reprimanding a kid at a school thing! Maybe in future they should seperate the grades? Erin's school is the same age-span, and there really is *such* a differnce between the 8-9 and 11-12 group.

I'm glad the girls (and boys) had fun with their sleepover, though. And I love Bronte's kinky hair! I've done that with Erin (we call them braids, btw, hehe).

Caz

Lynda said...

Oh that is really disappointing - especially after all the excited anticipation the girls had beforehand. What is the world coming too?