Monday 14 May 2007

Mothers Day - gorgeous yet bittersweet

I do so love Mother's Day. It is the ONE day of the year that I am guaranteed a wonderful day - the WHOLE Day. There are two not so wonderful things about Mother's Day though.

1. It ends and all goes back as it always is...

2. I miss my mother even more

So, the day started being woken up by whispers, hearing directions being given and shuffling, giggling and lots of shushing...


The door opens at 8.30am and in they all come shouting HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!! And I look up and Stan has the video camera going...Oh No! They are all happy. All thrilled and excited. I get gifts...the latest Jodie Picoult book, Nineteen Minutes from Zachary. Robbie Williams RUDEBOX CD from Samuel, a gorgeous old fashioned looking mug from Bronte and a Womens Weekly 501 Low Carb recipe book from Stan. Yay. The cards the kids made were gorgeous...and I will always keep them.

Off they all went again to make breakfast. Can I tell you, the last thing I want to do when I first awaken is eat but what can you do? They made the most yummiest Banana Pancake (none of the shaker stuff!) and a Banana Smoothie and a cup of coffee (decaf of course!). I ate half the pancake - it was massive, drank half the smoothie and drank half the coffee. Then I was allowed to rest again...

I started my Jodi Picoult book and in the background I could hear dishes being done, the floors were washed and the house was vacuumed. I love it! This is the best present that Stan could give me really! It is awesome!

Then we packed a picnic lunch and off to the city by train we went. Got off at Melbourne Central and looked through the shopping precinct. Spotted Krispy Kreme's (I don't like them but I told the kids that I might get them one on the way back) and we went into a games place where they play a game called Warhammer. It was so fun. The young guy played a game with us and showed us how it all worked. Walked down towards Federation Square - a place we all love.

Saw some fun things along the way. Saw some Jazz bands play in the square and watched a pretty average street entertainer while we had our picnic. Then into ACMI for a little look and back out to the square, watched another street entertainer called Andy Zapp. He was so great - I haven't laughed so much in ages.

After that we caught the City Circle Tram which is free. I have always wanted to do that.

On the way Zachary spotted a Hummer. It wasn't just ANY Hummer it was a super STRETCH hummer. He was so excited he yelled out WHOA! LOOK AT THAT HUMMER! The whole tram full of people stopped mid sentence and looked! It was very funny!




Then we continued on our way and got off the tram up at the top of Swanston Street.

We went across to the Victorian State Library and out the front is this fantastic monument. Of course they all wanted to climb it....



You have to click on the photo to appreciate the size and how hard the task was!!

And here is Stan...trying to do the same thing. He did get higher than these photos show but not any where near as high as Z!



Here are some more photos.

I love this one of the 4 of them...


And this one is too darn cute for words...check out Bronte's top - MY MUM ROCKS! LOL



How's this for a good photo - My Mum Rocks!! Ass! LOL It really says on Zachary's top BASS.



I think that you can all tell we had a wonderful day in the city and as a family. I want to thank Stan, Samuel, Zachary and Bronte publicly for showing such love.

When we arrived home, we went up to Joyce's for Mother's Day dinner and had some laughs. Even Jasper the cat came up.

Had a lovely lovely day. Full of love and joy. Of course, this made me think of my mum and just how much I miss her still.

7 comments:

Brissiemum2 said...

Sounds like a lovely day. Love the pix! And love Bronte's top! I want one of those in our house! And yay to your family for making your mother's day so special!

handinhandaus said...

OH K8 what a gorgeous day!! I love love Bronte's top how cool is that!! I am sending my boys over for some lessons ;)

Trudi said...

Oh Kate - I loved every word you wrote, felt like I was there................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm did I eat some of that pancake????

Kylie said...

Isn't that strange - I had banana pancake also for mothers day (I hate bananas LOL).

Gorgeous photos of your fab family and sounds like a great day.

Love you, hug you, Kylie

Anonymous said...

What a great day, Kate!! And I loved the pics, what a gorgeous family you have.

Love, Caz

Lynda said...

Your family is really inspiring K8 - bet your mum spent the whole day feeling so proud of you, just beaming away.

Lynda said...

Oh by the way - you have been tagged over on my blog - do you know what to do or are you like Kylie? LOL - let me know - cheers L