Tuesday 29 May 2007

Getting ready for a big

step in Zachary's religious life....his Confirmation.

We belong to the Catholic faith and Confirmation is basically where a person becomes an adult within their faith. Zachary is 11 and very very excited at this next step.

He needs to have what is termed a 'sponsor'. Someone that he will be able to go to in times of need, someone that will be able to direct him within the faith and someone that he can trust.

This is a big step for him because he is not a very social person. Unlike Samuel and Bronte, he is a child of very few words but many deep thoughts. He is someone who thinks and watches and thinks some more before he will say/do anything. He is someone who has to feel comfortable before he allows others in.

So, of course, this narrows the field a LOT. Joyce is already Samuel's sponsor, so he is going to ask my good friend Simone. She doesn't know yet but she will be THRILLED.

I can't wait to see her face because she knows he struggles with social needs and she will be so touched. Yay on Zachary!

I am so delighted for him...

(disclaimer) even though I am not religious - this has true meaning to him and my family.

3 comments:

Jacq said...

K8, I think this is really special for Zachary. Jack will make his eucharist and confirmation next year and I already have been thinking about people I can suggest to him for him to make a choice about sponsors (oh and what confirmation name he will take.... all the girls when I made my confirmation were Bernadette, I sooooo wanted to be Berandette too, but instead I got Anne....)

Such a special time for our children. by taking that step now, when they are adults they have the choice of running with their faith, putting it on hold, or finding another... but it will show them that you are teaching them that believing in something, both a faith and themselves, is important... I know I look back on my confirmation and first communion fondly. I am not overly religious, don't often go to mass, but I find it comforting when I do (is it the peace and quiet and time to think ??? Who knows ;D )

I hope Zachary enjoys this journey

Kate said...

LOL Jacq - MY confirmation name is Bernadette but not for good reasons...I chose it because I wanted to have the LONGEST name in the Class! LOL Catherine Louise Bernadette (and my surname had 9 letters) so I was the winner! LOL

Zachary asked his sponsor today in the school playground and she was so surprised and delighted she started to cry. How nice is that?

Jacq said...

That is soooo nice! I know when I was asked to be a godmother it was special as it was a friend entrusting you with their childs moral development (scary when you think of it LOL) But I think a child actually choosing you to be a sponsor - especially if the friend knows that it will be a big thing for the child, well that is all time gold

PMSL - Bernadette.... Jacqueline Marie Anne.... just doesn't cut it... Mum reckons it had to be Anne as she was Judith Anne and had Marie as her confirmation name.... Yep, sorry but Jack can choose his own.... then he can wear it if it is cringe worthy as an adult ;D