Thursday 26 April 2007

ANZAC Day means many things to a lot of people

To tell you the truth, I had not thought about it in depth over the years. I think it might have something to do with my 'mixed' background actually.

Mum was born to Scottish parents who emigrated out here I don't know when! LOL I know that mum's dad (who died many years before I was born) was in the English Lighthorse Brigade - well I can't even truthfully say I KNOW that but I think he was. Saw a photo of him once in his uniform and with a horse. I should make that a mission of mine to find out more about that.

My dad was born in Berlin Germany and was a young boy when the 2nd World War ended. He emigrated out here to Australia at the age of 18 in 1952 I think it was. He never returned 'home' and he rarely spoke about his childhood. Even when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's we were referred to at times as Nazi's - those were the days when the word Wog was bandied around a lot too. I remember asking dad if we were Nazi's (I was probably 7 or 8 at the time) and he said 'No! We are Australians!' and that was good enough for me.

We didn't live life with the German culture which is unfortunate in hindsight. All traditions we had were English traditions. Mum didn't speak German and therefore everything was in English. I suppose at the time, being German wasn't popular either - and dad's thoughts were that he was Australian and therefore he needed to be an Australian - I remember him writing to his mother once and he was using an English/German dictionary - I thought it was to translate from German to English but NO! It was to translate English to German - he had forgotten a lot of his language and I was surprised at that....thought it quite funny actually!

War and conflict weren't discussed in our household from memory or maybe that is also because I was the youngest of 5 and if it was I wouldn't have understood it. Who knows?

Two of my brothers joined the Australian Navy at the age of 15 or 16 - went across from a country Victorian town to Perth - away from family away from friends. My mother found it very difficult to say the least. One brother loved the Navy life - one hated it.

My sister also joined the Navy but I think she was 18 or 20 or so. Had a lot of experiences up in Darwin - went up there to help the clean up after Cyclone Tracy - I think that was in 1976.

Me? I was just at home and went to school, rode horses, played tennis, squash, judo, swam in Mulwala Lake all summer - had a great growing up. I think it was easiest for me when I look back. Youngest - 3 out of the home already (although there is only 7 years between myself and the eldest - my sister - 3 brothers in between).

My mum and dad gave me a wonderful childhood in retrospect. I remember long summer days, taking my dog Dhoby who was a brown kelpie/lab cross with me wherever I went. Known around town as the girl in the red fluffy coat and the brown dog. Those days were full of fun and sun. Freedom and laughter.

Horseriding bareback through the town of Yarrawonga, going to Mulwala Golf Club and riding all day. Gosh I loved it. When Dhoby would get tired, he would jump up with me onto the horse and ride across in front of me. A sight to be seen now I reckon.

Anyway - I guess the ANZACs have helped me in this freedom of sorts. When I think about how much those young me lost - their lives, their freedom, their future - it brings me to tears now. More so than ever before. Probably because now I see the events through the eyes of a mother. I mean Samuel is 12, boys of 15 and 16, lied about their ages and went to war. How horrible is that thought as a mother?

3 comments:

Lynda said...

This has been a really significant Anzac for many people I think. I have also been thinking about the family connections this year - and the graffiti inflicted on the memorial in Bathurst enraged me. You childhood sounds gorgeous! I want some too...do you ride anymore?

Sue xx said...

Everybody I have spoken to that went to a service said it was the biggest turn out for years. Why is that? Mark took Tim and his friend into the Dawn Service in Town. I watched an ABC program that night on a Nurse who was involved in the evacuation of orphans when the fall of Saigon happened. I had forgotten all about this piece of history. There are so many heroes and so many lives lost in all the different war times.
Lest we Forget
Sue xx

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can only imagine what your father saw as a child in WWII Germany. I'm not surprised he chooses *not* to remember.

My FIL was a Pearl Harbor Survivor and fought in the South Pacific during the war; he rarely spoke of it either.

Caz