Friday 20 July 2007

Catholic ways and rituals....


You know, we were raised in the Catholic faith, my husband and I.

Our children - well the two younger ones - currently go to a Catholic Primary School and all three have been raised within the Catholic Church....


Here is Zachary with Bishop Elliot on the evening of Zachary's Confirmation. A ritual that Zed really looked forward to and he now has memories of it that he will cherish.

For someone like me - who rarely agrees with the Churches teachings - it is a little difficult to pass on to the kids the enthusiasm that is needed. However, while I don't agree with what I see as a lot of hypocrisy within the Catholic Church and its laws, I do agree with the basic morals and Christian beliefs that are taught. Why, then do I feel guilty about all of this?

I look at my friends (my age) who go to Church weekly if not more...I look at them and think 'Do you REALLY believe? Do you REALLY believe in the Church? Do you REALLY believe in God?' Because I don't think I do.

I feel bad thinking that and even worse for putting it in writing but there it is...I am not sure that I do believe in God but I do wish I did. I do know that I believe in the goodness of people whether they be Christian or not. I do believe in the power of love and I believe in peace.

But, I feel a little lost in that I do not have faith in God but I do know that I have faith in humanity. I think in part, that it is to do with the death of my mother (who was a devout practising Catholic) and the death of my father. It also has something to do with the fact that I believe that the Church is manmade - man made rules that have not moved with the times. Rules that in some ways opress women and humanity. I dislike the double standards of such things.

However, Stan and I both believe that by giving the children an education within the Catholic system prepares them for life. Gives them a sound moral base and prepares them in a way to be inherently good people (hopefully).

So, with this in mind, Zachary received the Sacrament of Confirmation. It was a thrill for him.


Next month, Bronte will be making her First Communion and she is so, so excited!

3 comments:

Domestically Disabled Girl said...

thanks for your visit to my blog and your kind words for abram and his family! it's much appreciated!

i feel about the same as you do about religion and christianity. i was not raised catholic, but i was rasied by church-going christian parents.

i believe in a higher power or powers, but have many issues/problems with much of christian dogma, therefore i rarely attend church anymore. that's a choice i have every right to make as an adult and not feel guilty for it.

you are giving your kids a solid base, they will make their own decisions and conclusions some day, and that's great! i need to follow your lead in that, my kids have not had enough exposure to church.

handinhandaus said...

I think the guilt is good old catholic guilt, feel guilty about anything and everything :)

I was raised a catholic too but like you the hypocrisy of the church has driven me away. I do believe in God but I don't believe he thinks any one sector of christianity is greater or better than another. And maybe it's me just being hopeful but I believe he would prefer me to believe and follow him in my own time than force myself to attend a specified service all the while sitting there thinking what else I should be doing. lol definately me being hopeful I think!! but surely a little faith is better than none....

Brissiemum2 said...

I think that we all need something to believe in. Something that makes us strive to be better people and something that defines us in the face of a world that can be full of much hatred and nastiness. How (or what) you indoctrinate this into your daily life is a personal choice. And the fact that we can live with others and respect their choices is a part of that sound moral base in which you spoke of.

Congrats to both your children on their Confirmation and First Communion. Can't wait to see B's dress, too, btw! Lol! I love seeing these ceremonies. They are such a special event in the practices of the Church.